Tranzport

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Nov 29 14:35:42 CET 2008

The Dong wrote:
> Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> I'm curious how you'll treat the perspex at the end .. always
>> impresses me when someone makes a perfect perspex box.

Ah. No. Just the face will be perspex, to protect the text and gfx.
I'm not going to use perspex for the whole casing, maybe bend some right
angle lug pieces to help mounting. Perspex is pretty bendy stuff in big
pieces and unless braced or very thick would not be good for bigger
boxes. I'll use steel/aluminium and wood.

I have made a contraption for bending thin perspex from a small length
of stainless steel tubing, a sheet of MDF and some PCB board. I stick a
soldering iron into the end of the stainless tube which is inset about
1mm or two lower than the surface of the mdf, wait for it to heat up,
place a piece of perspex/acrylic on the right spot, maybe flip it, until
it bends then set it to the correct angle on a jig. If done right, it
comes out very clear and shiny. Easy :)