De-essing

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Nov 16 21:10:24 CET 2008

Mikael Hansson schreef:
> Hi!
>
> We forgot the popshield this weekend so when we listened to the last
> track in the car, we found out there was some sharp s's cutting through.
>
> Which is the best way to get rid of that? EQ or a dedicated deesser?

I think a de-esser is better. It compresses a certain frequency
(the "sss") only when it is too loud, so it won't ruin the sound.

> If I use a deesser, should I use it before or after the compressor?

Theoretically it might be a better idea to de-ess first, so the
compressor won't over-react on the sss-sounds, but I haven't
found huge differences...
--

:-)

G e r t   v a n   S a n t e n