Outsim Synthmaker?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Nov 1 12:50:20 CET 2008

>> i forgot what that is, what is it?
> The wonderful Korg 900ps.

ah hah, that is a wonderfully interesting synth.  rockin' interface!

> ..so are you saying that you start every patch with a push of the
> Initialize
> button?

yes, in fact, for the last 7 years that has mainly been my mode of
operation.  also, i don't have anyone elses patches in my synths these
days - all save slots contain 100% patches made by me.  so even if i
pick up a patch where i left off, its still my original sound.  i save
like a mofo, too.

> Nope. Im say I mostly know "none-carers".  Its completely academic
> if a
> patch which you have created starts from an Initialised patch (a
> preset in
> its own-right) or, another patch.

i think its a very subtle distinction; if you're creating your own
patches from scratch, there are details that you know about the sound
that would otherwise be overlooked.  one of the reasons i am a hard-
ass about this issue is that i realized during the 90's that i was
spending far too much time playing other peoples patches and never got
deeper into the synth engine, which is why i got a synth in the first
place.  i chucked all my romplers and hard-to-edit synths, and began a
strictly disciplined focus on making my own sounds, on the basis of
what i understood about the synths.  i did not personally find that
using other peoples patches was helping me learn the synth; it was
having the opposite effect of shielding me from the hard work of
making my own sound from scratch in the first place.

so, i really got hard-ass about it, as a discipline.  i simply do not,
ever, use anyone elses patches. the rewards for me personally have
been fantastic.

> But I know you use some synths that don't have patch storage anyway;
> likewise with my main synths.  Also, I rarely actually bother to save
> patches as I like the idea that all of our tracks are moments in time,
> recorded as a performance, just like a regular rock band.

i too like this, but i save like crazy.  my save banks are a time-
ordered list of changes i've made - i often have 30 copies of the same
sound saved, with minor tweaks in between, so i can easily go back and
forth between versions.  i found it really productive to force myself
not to 'covet' the patch save slots like they had to be maintained
'preciously', and instead just use the whole set of slots as a big
scratch pad.

but, that took a little discipline.  i know there are folks out there
who can't work that way.  i'm not trying to over-generalize and say
everyone should do this, just that as a discipline it has worked for
me immensely well.

last night for example, friday-night jam session @ metalab: new folks
come along and ask for a little tutorial on how it all works.  "make a
fat bass sound" - and so i made one from scratch, taking 'init' and
pushing everything i needed to push to make it happen.  this was a lot
more enlightening for them than it would have been were i to just pull
up a preset - the process is what matters, not the immediate result.

> But people should not get hung up on presets.  Their use or
> otherwise don't
> make or break the song.

i think its important not to get hung up on things, but that goes both
ways: if you feel uninspired, trying a new musical discipline can be
really effective.  a total non-factory, only-play-what-you-made-
yourself approach has been wonderful for me.

but then, unlike you, i'm not exactly releasing tracks for other
peoples enjoyment these days, and thats a bit sad.  so that is about
to change, though, as i work more on the production end of things again.

> Frickin raining in London. Even English girls wear clothes when its
> raining;
> sucks!

yeah, not so bad here in vienna today .. the boy is with grandma and
granddad, so we've had a bit of a wild fling for a break, and now its
time to get out of bed and go have brunch.  ;)

;
--
Jay Vaughan