more awesome sound-making stuff from cameras ..

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 30 16:23:54 CEST 2008

Martin Naef schreef:

> I think you're missing an extremely important point: Expressivity. What
> you describe is how music is written on a sheet of paper. Play it
> exactly as written, and it will be soulless (anybody else here collected
> general midi files at some point in their life?)

Well, yes, granted. I was thinking more specifically about putting
little cubes on top of a display and turning them around. Or video
capture; I mean, I saw that over 15 years ago and not much has changed
since then, except that you can run it on your own PC instead of
requiring a full-height 19" rack.

> So one very important part of the interpretation of these notes, pauses
> and sound effects is the performance. Traditional instruments are
> extremely expressive because of the nuances and the very intimate
> control that is possible. Electronic instruments, however, are still
> essentially stuck with the keyboard+slider input metaphor that works for
> some sounds, but doesn't cover a very wide range. Until we find new
> interfaces, electronic instruments will never be more than a piano with
> a strange sound.

You're going to have this problem anyway with electronic instruments,
except when there's a direct physical connection between what your hands
(or feet, or whatever) do and the sound that is produced. So you don't
have the problem with a theremin, but you do have it when the movement
of your hands has to be interpreted first, before a sound is produced.

The reason, I suspect, that the keyboard interface was chosen, is that
it comes directly from organs, and whatever lies in between. It's a
proven interface. It also gives you lots of polyphony and you can't play
an off-key note.

> Mind you, I'm not easily excited by yet another noise source (the
> example shown is rather boring in my opinion), but unless we experiment
> in all different directions, electronic instruments will never mature.

Well, personally, I would like to narrow it down to 'all *sensible*
different directions'. A lot of the stuff I see here has a high gadget
value, but very little in terms of musicality.

Especially those cubes do *nothing* for expression. They just sit there.
You can't put emotion into a performance (for want of a better word) by
turning them in a particular manner.

I'm all in favour of finding new ways to improve a performance, to be
able to do with a synthesiser what you can do with a violin or a flute.
But expression should be taken as a starting point, not how cool it
looks or that it uses hardware X or that it only costs $50.

Multi-touch: good idea, but what use is it if you can't give expression
by pressing a bit harder, or wiggle your fingers? You just need a very
large, pressure-sensitive, multi-touch capable ribbon controller. Then
at least you can put expression in.

- Peter