Parallel Compression/processing (was mixing course)

Bill Fox EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed May 21 00:05:57 CEST 2008

punkdISCO wrote:

> So, parallel processing kicks butt.. Lots of uses but a simple one is:
> you want keep the dynamics of a vocal take but, you want to raises its
> RMS.
>
> Solution: Copy the vocal track (or use a send to a bus track).
> Compress the second copy then slowly raise its level along side the
> uncompressed version.
>
> Here is an example but not quite what I was demo’d
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAT1P0UBF58

That's a great demo. I've heard it by the name of "New York Drums." I
personally have further refined this technique, although I'm sure some
other people may have beat me to the punch. Instead of just one parallel
processing channel, I use three. One processing channel rolls off
everything above the bass range before hitting the compressor. The
second channel rolls off the low and high ends, leaving only the mids.
Center the bandwidth to taste. The third channel rolls off all but the
high end. Now you can add the fullness of each frequency range to taste.
Multiband New York Compression! You can go crazy by doing even more
channels in parallel and have BPFs different center frequencies in
between the high and low channels. Have fun!

Cheers,

Bill