Mixing Course

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon May 19 21:10:22 CEST 2008

Hey all

On Sunday, I went on this course:

http://www.londonschoolofsound.co.uk/mc02.php

Firkin ace use of a day and 70squid.

Anyway, it started off with a little quiz.  A rock/pop track that the
lecturer (Matt) had done a commercial mix on using lots of expensive
outboard, on a SSL desk.  He redid the mix purely inside Logic using just
Logic and a few Waves plugging.  We listened to both versions and had to
choose the SSL/Logic version.  There was about a 50/50 split (I was wrong)
and this is apparently nearly always the case.  They have done this test of
100’s of students and pro’s and regardless of the persons background, it is
always 50/50.

So, one mix used approx £200,000 worth of gear.  The other used about
£3,000.

Matt first version was the proper version using hardware. He was then asked
to do the ‘academic’ version using just his laptop and his spec was: don’t
copy your original version, just make it sound as good as possible.

Very interesting..

Ta

Paul

London