DSLR

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Mar 29 15:12:05 CET 2008

Martin Naef schreef:
> Hi Michael
>
> Michael Zacherl wrote:
>> I never had a compact camera until I entered the digital domain.
>> The current one (LUMIX FZ7) is quite ok but has a bad sensor.
>> Low dynamics range, low sensitivity, small, bad noise.
>
> Well, that's pretty much inherent in the small sensors. They are quite
> ok with proper light (outdoor photography), but show their weaknesses
> otherwise. However, depending on what you're trying to achieve, that
> doesn't mean you couldn't make good pictures even under sub-optimal
> conditions. Gert's gallery is a good example

Thanks, Martin. Some pictures needed a
lot of denoising and other tricks,
though, and as soon as you start
pixel-peeping, you will find horrible
artefacts. For the internet many
pictures are still very useable, though.

- he's got the full range
> from top cameras to P&S.

True. I make my choice of camera
according to subject, quality needed and
portability.

I started to write a response to the
first e-mail in this thread, but after
20 lines I deleted the whole thing
because I thought you (Martin) said it
very well when you wrote: "Which one is
more important to you: Portability or
image quality?"

>  but sometimes I
> prefer just taking the camera alone in a separate bag, and maybe one
> extra lens

That's what I often do. Works very well.

> It is expensive, indeed. But it's worth it for me. But then, my picture
> counter on the new camera is already on 2923, after 6 months and no
> major holidays...

Happens to me too. In the analogue days
I shot 200-300 pictures a year. Now it
can be 300-500 per day (on special
occasions, of course).

So, if someone would ask me what I would
(want to) buy if I had to start all over
again, I would answer:

A small camera bag with:
1 cheap consumer DSLR body Nikon or
Canon (400-700 euros)
1 low light lense (e.g. 28 mm f1.8 or 50
f1.4) (200-350 euros)
1 zoom lens wide-tele (eg 18-200 mm)
(300-700 euros, depending on Image
Stabilisation)

For in your pocket:
1 compact camera with wide angle/tele
(min. 28 mm), IS and hi ISO (200-400 euros)

Then you choose your camera according to
subject, quality, portability.

--

:-)

G e r t  v a n  S a n t e n