New Record

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 3 20:07:30 CET 2008

Tony Scharf wrote:
> I spent a weekend recreating my favorite virus sounds using NI
> Massive.  Its not an exact replication, of course, but the difference
> is in a certain edge massive has that I like.  the TI is a going away
> soon.
>
> Software has gotten good - DAMN good, to the point that its hard to
> see a reason to keep VA synths around unless they have a very
> comfortable control surface.  In my own setup, I am grabbing software

While I see your point in terms of sound, I still wonder if it's really
that easy to replace VAs in general. I've only had a relatively brief
look at Massive, but I found that while it indeed sounds great, it's
true to its name in terms of processing power - and that was on my
machine at work, no point even trying it at home... Of course it all
comes down to style and workflow - if you commit to audio early, or have
minimal arrangements, I can easily see how a software approach works
well. But if you go for anything dense, I feel that I'd hit a brick wall
too early.

Or is it just me because I haven't upgraded to an eight-core monster yet?

> play.   The TI promised that kind of integration, but it really just
> isnt there. It just never worked stable enough to trust it, and I
> ended up using the USB only for MIDI and not using the VSTi at all.

Well, I can't comment about the TI - still on a first generation Indigo
here, with no particular desire to upgrade...

Bye
Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch