Stick

Paul Maddox EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jun 25 21:24:54 CEST 2008

Tony,

> After experimenting with tap guitar, string guages, and tunings, I can only
> say,
> all these instruments feel very different. I would never have got a Stick if I
> hadn't "known" with my entire being that this was the instrument I was looking
> for, when I first played one. Stick is not bass, and Megatar et al, may be
> closer to bass, but you won't know unless you play it.

Fair point, but so far I can't find anyone I know who has played one of
these.

> If it doesn't say something special to you, as soon as you pick it up, then
> stick with bass. Bass is a HUGE instrument, as Stanley Clarke, Jaco, and
> countless others have shown. And you don't need to be a virtuoso to make it a
> continually rewarding and inspiring instrument.

That was part of the reason for selling you my stick, it just wasn't right,
it felt cold, austere and aloof almost. I didn't feel any warmth or passion,
even after a few plays.
Bass on the other hand I really do enjoy.
Guitar, well it's ok, it's a means to an end, and that's where my problem
lies. If I want to do melody and chords, etc I need something with a high
end. And I'm just not going to prance about with a 13 string bass

> The question is not a technical one, ie, number of strings, etc. The question
> is, what is "your instrument" (mixing desk? computer? recorder?). Then stick
> with it.

At the moment, my passion is with the bass, I don't like guitar very much
and want to be able to write tunes with more 'intuitivly' than fighting with
a guitar.

We'll see what happens and how it goes.

Paul