Stick

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jun 25 15:15:43 CEST 2008

Michael Zacherl wrote:
> so you left the capacitors with the resonant filters?
> Did you fine tune the filters? By ear, I asume.

I tried fixing the frequency, but eventually found that, as new strings get
played, they lose the top end, and so continuously variable frequency was good
for this, and, of course, if one must have potentiometers, then, one may as well
make use of the dull/bright sonic pallette that becomes available. The resonance
is fixed, though. Slightly more on the bass side. The result of a mere 12
different prototypes, paranoia, and endless testing.

> or thinking of a six-string bass being played in the high notes?

That is a bit different again - a very nice sound, but thicker than what I am
after. The harmonics on such high-played bass strings are very sharp compared to
the integer ratio. An excellent aesthetic ("Walk on the Wild Side", is a good
example).

> uhm .. errm ... well ... naah ... I would take that as a challange ;-)
> Your original circuit relies on the crappy 741s ... if I only could
> swap the noise for more dynamics.

The crappy 741s are awesome for distortion. If you need more dynamic range,
there's plenty to choose from, especially if you don't have to run from a 250mAH
9V battery!

> BTW, do you join the gang in Cambridge?

Looks like it :)

Tony (HB)