Re: Até Mais, Lisbon

Andrew Robinson EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 20 18:53:28 CEST 2008

The treaty suffers from the same problem that political manifestos
always have, that people are given a bundle of different things shoved
together and politicians then claim to have a mandate for every part
of it when people vote for it because they want the good bits, or
because they are voting against the opposition.

Given that the alternative was continued trade wars, I think even I
might have voted for this if I was old enough in '76 - not because I
agreeded with it, but because I disliked the alternative even more.

Point by point...

> DETERMINED to establish the foundations of an ever closer union among
> the European peoples,

The key word here is 'foundations'. This was sold to a sceptical
British public as just agreeing to the groundwork, not the actual ever
closer union.

> DECIDED to ensure the economic and social progress of their countries by
> common action in eliminating the barriers which divide Europe,

Free trade

> DIRECTING their efforts to the essential purpose of constantly improving
> the living and working conditions of their peoples,

meaningless... hands up anyone who's against improved working and
living conditions?

> RECOGNISING that the removal of existing obstacles calls for concerted
> action in order to guarantee a steady expansion, a balanced trade and
> fair competition,

Free trade again

> ANXIOUS to strengthen the unity of their economies and to ensure their
> harmonious development by reducing the differences existing between the
> various regions and by mitigating the backwardness of the less favoured,

A nice idea if you read it to mean regeneration or charitable works,
but somehow it turned into paying farmers for a wine lake and a butter
mountain.

> DESIROUS of contributing by means of a common commercial policy to the
> progressive abolition of restrictions on international trade,

Free trade again

> INTENDING to confirm the solidarity which binds Europe and overseas
> countries, and desiring to ensure the development of their prosperity,
> in accordance with the principles of the Charter of the United Nations,

Fairly meaningless, was anyone really threatening to leave the UN?

> RESOLVED to strengthen the safeguards of peace and liberty by
> establishing this combination of resources, and calling upon the other
> peoples of Europe who share their ideal to join in their efforts,

This reads like the establishment of a European army to me?

> HAVE DECIDED to create a European Economic Community [...]
>
> That doesn't sound like a free trade association to me.

How else can the words 'economic community' be interpreted?

- Andy_R