Até Mais, Lisbon

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 20 18:02:44 CEST 2008

Andrew Robinson schreef:

> Personally I'd have voted no for at least two reasons, firstly because I
> don't want to give any power to politicians who are prepared to force
> the treaty through against the democratic wishes of the people, and
> secondly because I want the eu to go back to being what it was sold to
> us as when we joined, a free trade association.

Interesting if you do a little homework into history. In 1975, there was
a referendum in the UK, asking the following:

"Do you think the UK should stay in the European Community (Common Market)?"

Just over 67% of voters said 'yes'. Please note that it says "European
Community", not "European Economic Community". Not that it makes much of
a difference; they are the same thing, and founded by the Treaty of Rome.

So let's have a look at the essential part of the the Treaty of Rome:

DETERMINED to establish the foundations of an ever closer union among
the European peoples,

DECIDED to ensure the economic and social progress of their countries by
common action in eliminating the barriers which divide Europe,

DIRECTING their efforts to the essential purpose of constantly improving
the living and working conditions of their peoples,

RECOGNISING that the removal of existing obstacles calls for concerted
action in order to guarantee a steady expansion, a balanced trade and
fair competition,

ANXIOUS to strengthen the unity of their economies and to ensure their
harmonious development by reducing the differences existing between the
various regions and by mitigating the backwardness of the less favoured,

DESIROUS of contributing by means of a common commercial policy to the
progressive abolition of restrictions on international trade,

INTENDING to confirm the solidarity which binds Europe and overseas
countries, and desiring to ensure the development of their prosperity,
in accordance with the principles of the Charter of the United Nations,

RESOLVED to strengthen the safeguards of peace and liberty by
establishing this combination of resources, and calling upon the other
peoples of Europe who share their ideal to join in their efforts,

HAVE DECIDED to create a European Economic Community [...]

That doesn't sound like a free trade association to me.

Look, I respect your opinion, and I don't have the illusion that I will
be able to change it, but I think this sort of debate should be based on
facts, and not what alternative version is more convenient.

- Peter