audio distortions after recording

Michael Zacherl EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jun 16 13:09:26 CEST 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Martin Naef wrote:

> Hi Gert
>
> Gert van Santen wrote:
>> OK you music bar people, thanks for the support. I still haven't
>> found a way around this problem, so I guess I'm gonna switch to other
>> equipment Personally I don't believe it's got anything to do with
>> drivers, since I did quite of lot of recording jobs with this set-up
>> and it never failed me in comparable live situations. I think I have
>> a hard disk problem. Somehow halfway through a recording session this
>
> A disk problem might be the cause, if there's a bad sector that is
> "hidden" by the disk (e.g. remapped) and therefore causing
> significantly
> longer access times. Yet a two-track recording takes so little
> bandwidth
> that the system should still cope with it unless the disk blocks the
> bus
> for too long.

... that reminds me on a thermal problem a dear friend of mine had
once with her 1.5GHz PoBo HDD:

The longer the notebook was powered on the slower it got.
Also depending on the stresslevel it was exposed to.
It turned out that the hard drive was slowly dying - you could hear
the head seeking heavily trying.
But I doubt that one would hear that in a recording situation.

   Michael.

--
keep your ears open: http://blauwurf.at     <-- new piece online!