UK Government Petition to lower fuel prices

EMAIL HIDDEN EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 6 15:58:44 CEST 2008

Martin,

> You're turning this into a black-and-white issue.

not at all.
You're asking me to practice what you preach, but you're not willing to
pracice what you yourself preach.

> First of all,
> different forms and uses of energy are taxed at different rates.

ok, so it's not a green issue for you then?
If it was, you wouldn't drive a car or anything that was produced from an
oil based product.

> It's a way of steering things: Driving with your own car is essentially
> a luxury with significant bad side effects,

not for me, I'll say again, if I want to work, I *NEED* to drive a car. or
spend 3 times as much, and take twice as long, and probably use more oil
to run the two trains and two busses I'd need catch.

> whereas heating your house
> is a necessity - hence the different taxation. Although, a lot of
> British houses could be made more energy efficient, the incentive for
> which again increases with high energy prices.

WTF?
no, what it does it make it hard for people on mid->low incomes to afford
basic essentials, like driving, whilst the rich morons carry on driving
their 5 litre V6 landrovers not giving a sh1t.

> Now if you ask the government to reduce taxation on petrol to offset the
> recent hike caused by speculation, you're a) supporting a non-efficient
> use of resources, b) make the oil companies even happier because people
> keep buying their overpriced product at the same rate, and c) don't even
> attack the source of the price hike which is market speculation and a
> monopolistic behaviour of the providers.

What I want is for me to be able to afford to work and provide for my family.

And going back to my first point, and your own point, if you feel that
strongly about the use and abuse of oil, you'd not be using any products
that used oil either in them, or as part of their manufacture/delivery
process.

> Yes, but you pay a lot more extra for those things that rely heavily on
> petrol, whereas other, more "eco-friendly" products don't get the same
> hit. And if the price increased is caused by taxation, the money coming
> in can be used to reduce other taxes.

I'll say again, Locally grown food costs MORE than stuff imported. so
saying "you pay a lot more extra for those things that rely heavily on
petrol" isn't a good example, sorry, you have your facts mixed up.

At the end of the day, you have your view, I have mine.

My primary concerns are ;-

1) Being able to provide for my family
2) Being able to give back to the country by working and providing a service.

I don't like some fat plonker who is given £6k a year by taxpayers to
redectorate their london based bathroom telling me that he's going to put
petrol up cause it's a waste of natural resources. i.e. Lead by example.

I doubt we'll ever agree.

Paul (wondering if anyone actually added to the petition and wishing he
hadn't expressed an opinion)