Matrix

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jul 31 21:27:24 CEST 2008

Michael Zacherl wrote:
>>> That's just 81 VCAs ... ;-)
>> May I throw in an insult here? Why not digital? An 8x8 could be built
>> based around a single AL3101 DSP and four AL1101G/AL1201G converter
>> pairs.
>
> oh, no! I don't take it as an insult ... just a good idea which I will
> verify!
> But if I went digital (which would be quite some achievement anyway
> since I'm not at all a DSP head) it should do 16x16!  ;-)

Feasible as well, although it doesn't work quite as nicely with the
suggested chips as the DSP has an 8 in/out bus system. On the other
hand, they're dirt cheap so a short cascade wouldn't be a problem either.

> The VCAs should be as transparent as possible and it's "just" to shape
> the levels.

That's where digital is strong - no coloration unless explicitely wanted
(or done extremely badly...).

> Only if the converters/cpu were fast enough so that some modulation
> routing (from _real_ external CVs)  could be done - and of course it
> should be DC coupled!

Erm, forget the chips I mentioned then... They're all delta-sigma
converters...

Bye
Martin