iphone g3 launch in holland.. watch it live

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jul 12 00:07:04 CEST 2008

From: Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net>

>I think this demonstrates that cell connectivity is becoming less and
>less important to people than wlan ..

Um, no, no way. People want to use their phones and don't give a hoot about how they connect, just that it works and that they pay a decent price for the services they require. And these services are increasingly a lot more than calling and sending a text message.

A small - very small - percentage may look at wi-fi and see it as the next big thing that will defeat the business model of the mobile telcos, but as a matter of fact internet connectivity (to which wi-fi is connected) and mobile services are increasingly offered by one and the same company, so either way, you pay for the connectivity and it all goes to the same company.

And anyway, the scenario of free-for-all wi-fi only works in a city environment, where you are stationary. And the funny thing is that in a city you're often on the move, so forget about public transport.

Wimax is another issue, but I've seen how well Wimax works in an urban environment, and quite frankly it sucks. I've been trying intermittently to get the damn thing to work properly, but it's not worth my time. And it would save me €40 a month, so that's no joke.

But anyway, that's my view on the issue.

- Peter

Sent via the WebMail system at nextweb.net.mt