Focusrite Liquid Mix Opinions?

James Green EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 11 16:36:02 CEST 2008

> I know this is a bunch of gear questions back to back but I'm
> actually back
> in studio again, after and extremely long break and I'm
> trying to get the
> beast dialed in that last little bit.  The only compression I
> currently have
> are the plugins built into Cubase.  I generally don't use
> them or borrow a
> nice unit from a friend when I need the real thing.  Lately
> though, I've
> been wondering if I shouldn't be bolstering my EQ and
> compression options.
> What are folks' opinions on the Liquid Mix? Alternatives and
> options?  That
> is, besides spending multiple $1,000s of dollars on the real stuff.

Duende ... I have 2 of them now and 1 PCIe card version!

The duende unit is just jaw droppingly good.  Now the other plugins are out, things like drum strip (incredible) X-EQ and X-Comp ... The toolset on this platform keeps growing and the quality is just amazing.  The X-EQ has to be seen/played with to really appreciate ...

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/Music/Duende/X-EQ/index.asp

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/Music/Duende/X-Comp/index.asp

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/Music/Duende/Drumstrip/index.asp

The Bus Comp sounds really good even with really complex signals, I still can't get over the fact that you can set this thing up with settings that should sound terrible and horribly overdriven and it just doesn't.

With the base mini unit coming in at £400 (16 channels) this is a serious bit of kit for not much outlay, at a later date you can buy the DSP upgrade and have 32 channels ...

Jammer