eee pc .. w00t!

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jan 30 08:58:47 CET 2008

> I'm a resolution junkie, so 800x480 doesn't sound like much. Yet it
> didn't feel overly crowded. And while I've certainly worked with
> higher
> quality displays, this one was absolutely fine in terms of contrast,
> colour and viewing angle.

i'm currently running the 'advanced desktop', which is just KDE
without the Launcher app (which is also still nice to have onboard
too, btw..) and i've tweaked everything so that it really feels like
a much bigger desktop .. all fonts are 8-point, for example, and i
set up a good color scheme that provides proper contrast.  and you're
right: you can view this screen from all sorts of angles.

plus, the addition of external VGA means you can just use whatever
monitor you'd prefer when you need it ..

> Exactly my point... I'm trying to come up with a good project to
> justify
> the spend, and something along the lines of an interactive art piece
> with an Arduino could sound just like what I need...

okay, thats funny because just last night i did 'apt-get install gcc-
avr' and installed the arduino tools: the work seamlessly, no
problems, and i was hacking away on an arduino within about 5 minutes
of thinking 'hey i wonder if this would be good to hack arduinos
with' .. no sweat there whatsoever.  just plain works.

> Jay: Have you tried installing PD onto the machine?

yes, it works out of the box.  apt-get install puredata.  send me a
link to some really hot patches if you want me to see how well they
work.  i don't know whats more interesting in the puredata scene
right now, so give me some good examples and we'll run it through
some tests tonight.  (will be off-email all day today, gonna be in
the lab kicking my gigabit ethernet driver through its first set of
tests..)

also, alsa modular synth is *awesome*.  i'm really getting a kick out
of how well it all just plain works.

;
--
Jay Vaughan