Synth Price (again!) was Blofelds

punkdISCO EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jan 29 21:31:24 CET 2008

Hey Jay

> yeah true, especially if they end up changing the rules on overpriced

> synthesizers ..

I think your views on synth prices are a little overly simplified. Synths
are cheaper today than at anytime in the past, and the trend is still
downward.

Maybe your time at Access has blurred you objectivity? Maybe you see the
Virus as 100euros worth of components but then ignore the R&D (which would
have been huge back in the early days), the distribution, the manufacture,
the administration, etc etc etc..  Sure, once you get to the Virus B, C,
then TI, it's a lot less effort but honestly, there was once a time when Mr
Virus had to support themselves in a day job then put in many 1000s of hours
worth of R&D just on the off chance that there might be a commercial product
at the end of it. Plus, taking big financial risks.  That counts for
something..  But I don't know their history so maybe this is totally off..

Out of all the independent synth manufactures, I can not think of a single
over priced product. After all, the market would not allow it.  The only
real offenders are the like of Korg (big boys) who bring out a synth then 12
months later slash the RRP by maybe 50% - a blatant statement: our
profitable price on this is X but for the early adopters, we are going to
screw you with a 100% premium

Im sure the Virus directors are not millionaires or even particularly rich.
Certainly no more so then if they had taken their obvious talents into a
well chosen salaried job where there is zero risk..  Again, this is only
speculation..

Paul

London

www.punkdisco.co.uk