Electro-Acoustic Guitars (Washburn / Takamine)

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 25 02:31:53 CET 2008

Pev wrote:
> Hopefully a guitar geek can help me here! I'm getting rid of all my kit

I'm no geek. Take my advice sparingly :)
Stretching out on a limb with no pictures or hands on the guitars and no
idea what the digimixer is...

I'd go for it straight away before the guy backs out :)
Depending on condition, of course. No splits, no bad warps in neck,
action too high etc.
Digital equipment just dies in value as it ages, guitars, if cared for,
keep most of it or go up.

The older Washburn may need a little remedial work.
Frequently barred/played frets wear within years on a well played
instrument. Things come loose. Wood ages/drys out. Much can be sorted
without chucking into a shop.
Jimmy Page has used an EA20 12 string version on something long ago. ;)

The Takamine is a pretty new mid/low end 12 stringer dreadnought, but
afaik it is not a bad instrument.

The best fix on buying a second hand guitar with a decent action already
set is to remove all the strings, gently clean the whole guitar, don't
use a wood wax/spray cleaner on the fretboard, just use a few drops of
pure lemon oil (or lemon essential oil) on a cloth on the neck and
fretboard (very similar to that expensive Fast Fret stuff I bought once
and have topped it up for the last 5 years with the oil), so the
fretboard just soaks some in and polish. Put new strings on.
My advice is to NEVER put anything heavier than light gauge strings on
most acoustics, I used to use ultra lights most of the time. I don't
have an acoustic now though. It's easier to play, but also in ten years
your guitar neck will be like a banana 9/10 if it has always had heavier
gauge strings on and the truss rod wasn't set right. Or the body of the
guitar sags around the neck join area.
This is very difficult to repair. Slide guitar time..
But I'm ahead of the game here :)

You could get some midi pickups if you get that gear lust again, hehe.
"Whars yon midi inteface?".
(I've yet to play a midi guitar system that works properly)