It pays to be famous:

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 17 19:34:19 CET 2008

Tom Davies schreef:

> The sorry state of the NHS? You've been reading too many sensationalist
> scare stories in the paper. It's really not that bad.

Funny, I read a story on the BBC web site where a woman was told she was
too fat to undergo a certain surgery (hip replacement, I think), after
which she had it performed privately - in Malta.

Now, there is a bit of a difference between the old state hospital
(haven't seen the shiny, brand new one yet) and private hospitals, but
it's a bit strange. It's probably more a matter of budgets, "oh, let's
tell her she's too fat, so we'll save some money on the operation".

> I think the pay out is appalling, to be honest.

Hang on, if you lose money because you can't work any longer (the woman
nearly died, and has to walk with a cane now), is it appalling that you
get compensation for that?

The woman made a lot of money before - and a lot of that went to the tax
man. How you can see this as appalling is beyond me.

- Peter