RPM08 Mastering?

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 21 13:10:36 CET 2008

Michael,

Michael Zacherl wrote:
>> I don't agree with that. A song that is
>> tighter, more balanced and probably a
>> bit louder, is still the same song to my

> in terms of whisteling the same melody line?
> yes. Soundwise? no!
> I'd say that heavily depends on the genre. That's it.

I think the question is really: Are you creating soundscapes, or are you
creating a song (in the traditional sense)?

In *any* case, mastering has to take the genre into account, because
they each have a different aesthetics. If I mastered Ilona's flute and
piano concerto the same way I would with a pumping dance track, she'd
probably kill me... ;-)

> If all the tunes came from a single hand/group fitting them probably
> would be a much easier task.

Absolutely. In our case, mastering is about finding a compromise between
the tracks. I have no illusions that we can really make this one fully
coherent CD.

>> ...which might mean that some overall
>> reverb must be added...
> help!!  ;-)

Why? You do play your stuff live, right? Do you hand out headphones to
everybody? ;-)

Bye
Martin

--