RPM08 Mastering?

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Feb 20 21:26:25 CET 2008

Tony Scharf wrote:
> Usually, with mastering, youll get some multi-band compression and eq
> applied to the overall mix to smooth things out.  My track, for

Well, yes - I tend to do a bit more than that, but it's subtle.

> example, could definitely use a little bit of both.  I refrained,
> however, because its bad to master twice.  I dont see why anyone would
> add actual FX at the end stage.  mastering is all about turning a
> bunch of songs into a coherent whole.

True, although I'm not always so strict. On one of Micke's tracks, for
example, I actually added a hint of reverb to open up the sound...
Personally, I see mastering not just as a mechanical process to make
things fit together, but also as a second opinion after the mix.
Obviously, on a project like RPM, there isn't really time to iterate, so
the mastering engineer will avoid making artistic decisions and focus on
the mechanics.

Bye
Martin

--