iMac USB question

komatos EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Feb 11 16:54:00 CET 2008

On 2/11/08, Ron West <ronwest at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think the silence is the answer: I certainly don't know of anything
> > along those lines, and I could think of several reasons why such a
> > product would be a big pain to design... You will have to look for
> > Firewire peripherals, which is easy in the case of card readers,
> > external harddisks etc.
>
> true, but it takes forever to load an ipod shuffle via USB 1.1!
>
> --
> Ron

If it was a regular computer instead of an iMac you could throw in a
USB 2.0PCI card if the motherboard supported it.  Unfortunately those
all-in-one
computers like the iMacs (either the old CRT variety or the newer flat panel
monitor kind) and my MacMini are not designed to be internally expandable.

Bottom line is: she either has to deal with the USB 1.1 slow speed (which
isn't half bad at 12MB/s; a 1GB shuffle shouldn't take more than 10 or 20
minutes to load), or buy a newer computer.  Them's the breaks kid. :-(
That's what you get with 5-8 year old technology.

--komatos