(rant) people suck

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Feb 9 14:53:08 CET 2008

On Feb 9, 2008 4:46 AM, Gert van Santen <g.vansanten at chello.nl> wrote:
> Tony Scharf schreef:
>
> > the SE1x is something I always wanted: three oscillator mono synth.  I
> > love monosynths.  I re-discovered my Korg Prophecy recently, and its
> > got me feeling the bug for a second real analog.
>
> BTW, Tony - how was your trip to NM? Did
> you take anything home?

The trip was fantastic!

Our first stop to meet up with (I forgot his name, but I am sure Niall
will fill it in later) at the studio he works at to check out his very
extenstive modular rig.  The studio facility was absolutely beautiful.
 The modular system was also astounding, taking up a space about a
half meter high by two meters wide.  I could have gotten lost playing
with that for years probably..

When we next went to Nova, we were at first a little disappointed.
The busines there has been growing exponetially, to the ponit where
Tony has had to fold the showroom part and dedicate the entire shop to
warehouse space.  Being the nice guy he is, though, he let us setup a
mini testing area in the back of the show near where the other
employees work on the internet orders and customer service.

The first thing we whooked up was Niall's Manikin Shcrittmacher to a
Vermona DRM MkIII - an analog drum synthesizer.  It has a lot of very
well thought out features, right next to some very puzzling misses,
but I'd take its sound over a jomox any day of the week!  The
Schrittmacher did an excellent job of sequencing it, and Niall (who
has very deaft live drum programming skills) had it really singing in
the shop.

Drums arent enough, though, so we also unboxed an Angel Dust edition
SE1x and Prophet 08.

The prophet actually surprised me.  It *definitely* sounds different
than a PEK with the digital bits turned off, and it really is an
impressive sexy synth.  Its looks dont conjure up memories of the
prophet 5 nearly as much as the Prophet 600.  Fortunately, it sounds
much better than the 600!.  The 8 voice poly is very nice, and its got
a warmer rounder tone than the PEK.  the filter, in particularly, was
a little smoother and less spikey.  I am seriously thinking of
ditching my virus in favor of a Prophet 08 rack when the show up in
March.

the SE1x was, of course, the instrument I walked out with.  I wanted
one for near on 12 years since they were first released in the 90s.
Its got a very pure analog bass power, and over the years they have
tricked it out and improved the design (snappier envelopes, more
modulation, a 'fuzz' effect switch for internal clipping of the
filter, etc).  Its got a huge sound, that is kinda like a moog that
isnt a moog, and I just already love it.

Oh, and Niall didnt walk out empty handed either.  He did pick up the
Vermona and a mixer.  both of which are going to come in handy at our
jam ession today (which I need to go clean up the studio for).  Demos
of everything to come later..