cool .. make your own monome controller ..

James R. Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Aug 20 15:59:55 CEST 2008

I love DIY.  It does many, many great things.  Has many advantages over
commercial.  It also has a couple of heavy downsides.  In addition to the
skill question, DIY is *not* cheap.  If you want to DIY a Synthi or
Minimoog, it will be cheaper in parts alone to buy the original and forego
the DIY bits.  I do a bunch of building for my modular and it is hard to
build a robust single module for $100.  I've lately been building Juergen
Haible's stuff.  See: http://home.debitel.net/user/jhaible/hj.html for info
is you aren't already aware of his stuff.  Parts on these alone top $100 in
most cases.  His string filter project is $190 in *parts*.  Not including
the pcb, enclosure, power supply, or panel.  Decent yet still cheap pots are
$3.50.  These are cheap ones, no knobs. Pick out a knob you fancy and it
isn't unusual to be in the $2 - $3 a piece range.  The PCBs for most project
run minimum $25, typically more like $50.  Having your own design made into
a prototype PCB isn't really any cheaper.  As someone else mentioned, front
panels are expensive as hell if you want something other than cardboard and
crayon.  It's easy to make a single modular panel run $60.  If you want
stand alone, the enclosures are $75 minimum for something nice.  DIY is many
things.  Cheap isn't one of them.  Not much useful you can build for $100
sound module wise.

James R. Coplin