cool .. make your own monome controller ..

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Aug 20 15:22:38 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net> wrote:

> .. this would change if someone built an inexpensive 737 in their
> backyard.  Fortunately the 'majors' have regulations in place to stop
> this happening; do we have this in the synth world?

No, but we have economics, which rules over everything - and its a bit
more complex than $2000 v.s. $100 DIY.

What do you figure your time is worth?  I have a fair idea what my
time is worth to me, and the time spent building a $100 DIY kit and
gathering the skills neccessary to do it without blowing it up and
turning it into a $100 door stop is going to far exceed the $2000 that
it cost me to buy something that works right out of the box.  I can
spend my time making music and not geeking (I do enough of that at my
job already).

So if we can get to the point where the DIY kit takes zero specialized
skill to build and assembles in half an hour Ill be right there with
you.  Until that happens, people who dont have the time for DIY arent
going to sacrifice their other time for it.  Maybe after Ive retired
from a full time job and family.

Tony