New songs from Romain

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Aug 5 20:20:39 CEST 2008

Hey Romain!

Listening now:

1. Really like this. I like the fact you're concentrating on developing the art
rather than the presentation. I hear the music clear, there is something to hear.

2. Didn't enjoy this as much, but that's just because I don't like strummed
guitar, and on this one only your voice has its own unique character. The lyrics
don't get such a chance to be heard, because it sounds like a normal piece of music.

3. This is a bit clearer - your own voice with this strange vibe. Some kind of
coherence between low key understated trash techno and that vocal. At 3:51, it's
a bit obvious. Kinda boring, cos that's the most obvious thing to do with your
voice. But - a worthwhile experiment. Gotta explore the spaces. You seem to be
declaring war on war. Kurt Gödel would probably find a flaw in this concept.

4. Ah - acoustic again (my bias towards this kind of material is obvious, I
guess, in fact, I think I am bored by rock music - always trying to be obvious
in some way). It is really important to keep away from any existing genre, and,
by multitracking the vocals, you avoid the clichés. The more minimal you can go,
without sounding like an existing music, the better, IMO.

4b (around 4'40") Argh. Strumming. But otherwise interesting.

5. Synth sounds a bit cheesy. I'd swap all this for just one note, pulsed, on a
really powerful monosynth (SH101, MS20, Moog, Pulse, anything). Then just
vocals, no drums, anything. Would be really interesting. Strip all the
unnecessary away. What is necesssary? Vocal. Pulse. Pitch. Funny vocal around
2:30 - interesting. A bit close to cheesy horror, but also, something interesting.

5b (around 3'20") I like this theme. Synth is more interesting. The synth is
key. Interesting musical ideas on guitars in background around 5' (if they are
guitars).

6. I like the guitar. I think you need to sing live a lot more, get more power
in your voice, sing louder, more natural, instead of having slightly a studio
voice (which is always loud enough).

6b (2'02) Really excellent development. COOL. Probably could add some other
(natural) instrument, maybe acoustic bass. Dunno. Whatever. Really good piece.
Need to break it back down earlier, with some vocal, make use of contrast.

7. Good drum sounds. Serious cheese, in a good way. I think this may also be a
really good piece. Really seriously good. Lyrics are high quality (is this
original?)

8. Well... not so interesting. Interesting experiment with sounds and style, but
not musically interesting. Around 1'50 starts getting better. But terrible chord
progression (IMO).

Seriously good work :)

Tony (HB)