I'm back !

M-.-n EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Apr 26 15:14:30 CEST 2008

> All right! Welcome back, Marc :-)

Hey Gert,

Well I thougt that since I've been off the list for probably about a year
and a half, I might to a rundown of my usual obsessions and what I'm up to
:)

I've had the chance to buy a fabulous appartment last year, and for a
strange reason, I was able to do so without getting into heavy mortgage.
Consequently, my monthly bill has gone down quite a bit and I'm enjoying an
amazing moment at the time. I'm working about 3 days a week which leaves me
plenty of time to spend with Anita, enjoy the spring (finally) and work on
my music stuff.

I've been putting an immense amount of time on my tracker (you might recall
I was busy doing that stuff on GP2x at the end of my bar days) and It's
getting really where I wanted it to go. Still focused on portable handheld
and criptic hex-based interface, it starts being a lot more powerful and I'm
sometimes getting amazed myself by the tones I'm getting out of. I'm close
to release 1.0 (after 3 years) and it's a pretty exciting time. It's now
available on GP2x, Windows, Mac and debian.

The development of this has given me a lot of joy.. first by discovering the
hidden sonic beauty of aliasing, dirty arithmetics and ... coding errors ;
then by having a good group of entousiastic backing me up by running net
label dedicated to it, helping me with docs and just pushing me to do more
stuff. There's also a couple of people using it to do really excellent stuff
and it just makes me really happy (also I got to mention I heard Mike Patton
saw it.. even though he's most likely forgotten about it, it's nice to know
what I do went in front of that guy's eyes :).

I'm still performing live here and there (without too much searching) ; last
time was at the linux audio conference in cologne and in 4 days, I'll have
the extreme joy of doing another versus with Patric Catani here in brussels,
it looks very promising !

After a conversation with a finish dude called huoratron, I'm starting
digging the 're-amping' technique for eletronics.. i.e. re-routing digital
sound in various analog elements to breathe a new life in them. I'm playing
a bit with the evolver, just got a box of metal from z.vex and I'm toying
with the idea of getting a mini set of modular modules for that purpose (if
anybody's got advice on whom to go to, please sent it my way !!).

Then,A bit of audio to finish off:

1. A small live (more like track mixing) I did for friend's radio:

<http://discodirt.10pm.org/audio/M-.-n_live_at_radio_tuxedo.mp3>

Quite chilled. Done with my usual mini setup (2 GP2x, a mixer and a micro
modular).. it's a bit all over the place but a nice demonstration of the
various timbre lgpt can pull off.

2. A little banger for next wednesday: straight for the GP2X.

<http://discodirt.10pm.org/audio/mangash.mp3>

That's pretty much it... apart from also taking harmony lessons and (very)
lazily learning bass :)

++
Marc.