Phonic mixer update

paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Apr 21 10:31:04 CEST 2008

Guys,

 Ok, took the mixer to the rehersal room last night and recorded some
rough tracks as 'guide tracks' for recording.

 It went suprisingly well, I was impressed how he mixer 'just worked' as
the audio interface (that's all it was used for in this instance).

 we had the following,

Drums, 9 mics (3 tom, bass, 2 snare, Left over head, right overhead and
hi-hat)
1 mic on guitar cab,
other guitar was DI'd through cab sim
bass DI'd
vocals taken from 'monitor out' of PA in the room.

13 inputs in total.

The astute of you will note that I used 10 mics on a desk with only 8
inputs. two of those mic's went through my Xenyx 1202 running as a simple
mic pre and then into the phonic as line ins.

This was all fed into my wife's macbook (bottom of the range) which
performed the job of recording superbly, despite it's megre 5400rpm 80g
HDD and 1G of ram.

We listened back to the recording through the PA in the room whist packing
up, sounded suprisingly good.

I've copied the logic sessions onto my powermac (dual G5 with 4G ram) and
I'll be mixing it on this (as it should have more umph for plugins than
the macbook).

Once it's all been recorded (we'll be redoing the lead and backing vocals
in a quieter room) I'll post links to MP3s.

So far, I have to say, I'm really impressed wih this desk, it's done
everything I've asked of it, and done it without fuss.

Paul