64bit windows for music. Are we there yet, mom?

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Apr 20 17:14:06 CEST 2008

 Subject kinda says it all.

I am considering upgrading to a multicore monster of some sort, and
wondering if its worth while to go 64bit with the OS yet.   I know
that the amount of RAM you have access to makes it look very tempting.

I know that the hardware I want to use has x64 drivers.  I also know
that some of my applications have x64 versions and some do not.  from
what I understand, windows takes care of it by having a compatibility
layer in there.   but if my DAW and Plugins are still 32bit, will they
both still end up fighting over the same limited 4gb memory space, or
will the OS make the difference if I have 8 or 16gb of RAM (an almost
pornographic amount, but me want..).  In my mind, it seems that even
getting x64 just to *not* have that stupid XP 2gm memory limit seems
like a good reason to switch up, all hardware considered.

What do the gurus have to say?

Tony