Phonic Helix Board 18 Firewire MkII

paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Apr 11 22:29:41 CEST 2008

Guys,

 ok, well I got it... so here's a mini review

Hardware,
 Nice, feels solid but I don't think it'd last a year of gigging.
For studio work, more than adequate, nice range of controls and nice
layout. Only odd thing is a 'channel on' button and light, rather than
mute, no biggy, just odd.
 Another bonus, it came with rack ears, so I can rack mount it when I move
it into my recording rig.

Sound,
 Sounds fine to me, quiet and no crackling of any knobs or on firewire
channel
Tested it with a DI from my new valve preamp, and also a pair of mics on
the cab (both phantom powered), sounded fine, clear and transparent, just
what you need really.

Firewire,
 Ok, this was a case of PEBKAC, or layer 8 problems.
bascially I couldn't get any of my software to see the damned thing.
Then someone told me that Logic ignores the default recording interface of
the OS and just goes for the first one it finds (internal audio in my
case).
2 second change and blam, 16 tracks in and 2 out, no problem.

of teh 16 tracks in, 14 are from actual inputs, the other 2 (pair) are
selectable from Group, main out or FX1 send.

Ease of use,
 overall pretty easy, especially when you configure the recording software
correctly! the firwire audio routing things take a bit of getting used
to. and I *LOVE* the fact that you can send the channel signal pre or
post eq/fader!

worth the dosh? hell yes, 14 channels of recordable firewire for ?270
(including postage and customs), show me something else with 8 mic pres
that has this for that money?

Paul