the new pandora box is shaping up..

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Apr 10 20:17:11 CEST 2008

On Apr 10, 2008, at 4:52 PM, Gorman, Declan wrote:
> That sounds great Jay and I can see the attraction of portability.  It
> obviously suits you and the way you work.

the thing i like about this whole push for smaller, cheaper computing
is that its just as functional as the once-big-metal days, too.  i
mean, i have paid (over and over) up to 3,000bux for the computing
power of the gp2x/pandora/openmoko, etc., over the years, and still
managed to make the music i like.

just, now, its really, really cheap.  holy molies, 150bux gets you a
*lot* in the way of music-making capabilities, if you spend it right
and make a small effort or two ..

that said, i have made an agreement tonight, sort of a tentative
partnership, to participate in a *large* studio space here in vienna,
with multiple rooms and real treatment, and get it operationally
functional.  i've got my 2 hours here and there on the weekends
really booked, music-wise, and its on some nice gear too .. finally,
all my big and fun stuff is going to be put somewhere and made useful.

so i'm not really trying to sound overly pro-gp2x or NDS or anything
of the sort, in terms of gear-snob wise, i just want to note with
interest how things are progressing.  our old expensive gear is
getting less and less relevant to newer and newer generations .. the
difference is: are we using it?

;
--
Jay Vaughan