Cleaning gear

Gorman, Declan EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 9 15:12:52 CEST 2008

Thanks Dong.  It's just the buttons so something like servisol would be
perfect.  I might even have some at home. :0)

Regards,

Declan.

-----Original Message-----
From: shelter-bounces at lists.music-bar.org
[mailto:shelter-bounces at lists.music-bar.org] On Behalf Of The Dong
Sent: 09 April 2008 14:09
To: shelter at lists.music-bar.org
Subject: Re: Cleaning gear

Gorman, Declan wrote:
> who instructed me to use an alcohol based cleaner but I'm not sure
what
> exactly to use.  Any ideas?

If it's buttons or switches, I always use something like servisol switch

contact cleaner, an aerosol normally with a long nozzle attachment so
you can direct it into nooks and stuff. With buttons and switches you
can go a bit overboard without worrying about damage, it will make its
way into even the tiniest gap and can be wiped off. The rest evaporates
and leaves a lubricant residue.
I even apply this with gear switched on ;)

I'd be careful with slider pots or ordinary pots though.
The shafts are usually greased up with silicon grease or similar and
this stuff will melt that away, leaving a horrible squeaky / scratchy
feel.

At a push I might use lighter fluid and a small amount of silcon grease
to clean up. Most of the time I need to dismantle equipment that is
'gunged'.