DSLR

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 1 13:41:22 CEST 2008

Michael Zacherl schreef:

> Gert, I'm not sure if that's my point.
> A decent camera body plus two good lenses for more money wouldn't scare
> me off.
> I think first I've to manage to get rid of this "I want an all singing
> and dancing camera" wish.

> You know, things like no weight, small and shoots like a D3 with a fixed
> lense  :-p
> (Get me right weight is very imprtant to me when taking pics, but I
> don't want to carry it obviously ;-)

If you buy one of the smaller DSLRs (they are also the cheapest),
you won't have to lug a big bag with you. And why wouldn't you
just start with one lense? If you want (almost) all-singing, go
for the already mentioned 18-200. The fact that your sensor is so
much larger, will let you forget about the distortion in the
beginning. Plus, you can really use the 1600 ISO, so it's not
even a huge problem if there's no IS. And you can always sell the
lense later, if you want to go pro (or something).

> My primary desire arose during the course of Wien Modern last November,
> where I really was pi***d by the bad low light quality of my compact
> (FZ7). I still feel the pain :-(

I know, the sensor is just too small. Same with my FZ18, but
still it's a GREAT camera.

> For quite a long time I'v been thinking of getting a DSLR, but back then
> I didn't  like the quality.
> On analogue days my dream always was to have an F3, when the F4 came out
> and although I even was able to afford it I wasn't any more interested.
> I gave photographing a big break for much more than a decade.
> Until exactly 4 years ago where I dared to get a small Casio (just for
> fun shots, as I called it).

I know. I had the same experience. And then came the Pentax Optio
330. I took some 10,000 pics with it, and I loved it.)

> But I obviously didn't get rid of the photo virus :-/
> So I switched to the Lumix FZ7 (since I liked Jay's FZ5 a lot) but
> obviously I'm again pushing its limits.
> And now really good DSLRs are available.
>
> U c?   Sorry, when I appear as being confused I probably am ...   ;-)

I think you waste too much time thinking in circles (I know I do
;-). Just go to the shop, buy a 700 euro Nikon plus an 18-200 or
a 17-50, and start making great pics. Then, slowly, you might
learn through experience what you REALLY want/need -  which might
be the camera and the lense you already own :-)

--

:-)

G e r t  v a n  S a n t e n