Question: recording live musicians / clipped audio

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 19 16:13:22 CEST 2007

Hi Gert

Gert van Santen wrote:
>> Good quality tube preamps don't clip and distort in that nasty digital
>> fashion when too much shit hits them. Ummm...
>>
>> A <possible> solution with tube preamps. Ewwwww ;)
>
> Very nice, but expensive.
>
> Wouldn't there be any software solution?
> Please remember it isn't about shaping
> the signal - just preventing clipping.

Well, by the time software gets involved, it's already clipped - hence,
too late. There might be tools available that detect clipped samples and
make them "smooth", but I'm not sure if it sounds good enough afterwards.

Bye
Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch