Question: recording live musicians / clipped audio

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 19 13:16:31 CEST 2007

Hi Gert

Gert van Santen wrote:
> problem he has when recording classical
> music.
>
> This music can often be very dynamic.

Yes, that's the whole point...

> A good solution would be integrated
> limiters in your audio interface, but he
> has an Edirol thing, which doesn't
> support that.

No - classical people won't like that. There's essentially only one
solution: Record at a low level, make sure it doesn't clip, and use a
very good and *clean* recording chain that maintains the dynamics (no,
tubes are not a good idea).

Other tricks: Be careful with the microphone positioning. If you move it
a bit further away, there's a good chance that you don't get as heavy
spikes as you would with a close-miked sound. You'll also get a better
sound overall, as most classical instrument don't sound good with small
mic distances anyway.

With classical music, the performers are in conrol of the dynamics, and
your job as recording engineer is to retain those dynamics.

Of course, there's the area of what I'd call "pop classics" (e.g. what I
did for Ilona's wedding gig portfolio CD) where compressors can be used
to good effect. I'd still prefer to compress/limit as postprocessing
option, but if that's not feasible for whatever reason, well just use
any compressor/limiter after the mic preamp.

Bye
Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch