reactable

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 18 20:16:18 CEST 2007

Jay Vaughan wrote:
> Its just one of those so terribly "obvious" facts that none of the
> current instrument designers want to contend with: all classical
> instruments can be played in the dark.  Synthesizers, obviously, are
> broken by design.

Well, I think there is a lot of variation. Most synths, regardless of
interface, can be performed with in the dark, but,l depending on the
interface design, various expressive possibilities diminish with light
level.

I found the VCS3 very much a tactile instrument; couldn't patch it in
the dark (could barely patch it anyway...) but I could physically
remember the location of everything else, and so, even without keyboard,
a truly wonderful instrument to make expressive abstract noises with.

This brings me back to separation of "programming" (parameter setting)
and playing. A whole generation of synths had to make this separation.

Now, as there is so much acoustic potential, the most interesting areas
are increasingly interface spaces.

For re-examining interfaces, I would, indeed, take as my model somthing
like an acoustic guitar, or any instrument from a musical tradition (the
less formal the better), and think about inventing a new musical
tradition, for fun :)

Tony (HB)