Programmer's keyboard?

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Sep 17 00:27:55 CEST 2007

Jay Vaughan schreef:

>> Anyway... has anyone ever used one of those new-fangled, flat,
>> laptop-style keys keyboards? Other than Joost, that is, who is very
>> happy with his.
>
> Yes, I am using one now.  I like it very much.  Vivanco, black, flat
> as heck and very delicate keys.

Ah, that's good to know. Merci bien.

> Just get a couple cheap good ones.  There is no 'ultimate' keyboard,
> Peter.

See, this is where we differ. I have used the ultimate keyboard, and it
was either a Cherry MX-3000 or an MY-3000 - nowadays a G80-3000 or
G81-3000, not necessarily in that order. But Cherry is hard to find
outside Germany, at least in shops where you could try one out.

A keyboard has never given me RSI, perhaps because I'm always very
careful to have everything at exactly the right height. Quite a few -
way too many, really - of my old friends from university have developed
RSI from working with computers, and it's something I *need* to avoid.
Because otherwise I'm out of a job.

Same thing with mice, although there I've found the ultimate (for me at
least) and it's called Razer. PC and Mac friendly, too. There's a lot of
blah-blah on their site, with how they're excellent for gaming, but in
the end you have a mouse that I find great to use.

Perhaps I should just take the plunge and get myself a Cherry (sorry,
I'm attached to the brand) eVolution Stream, which is a wired flat
keyboard with six multimedia keys (excellent for work, where often I'm
listening to music and people tend to ask me questions), and not too
expensive. But it's testimonies like yours that will help me decide what
would probably work well.

- Peter