Here's a queer one...

Chris Strellis EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Oct 31 09:14:31 CET 2007

Hi Martin,

>Let's see. The big "bang/crash" sounds familiar - Tangerine
>Dream, Exit.

Correct and wrong at the same time!  But I'll still award you full marks ;)

It is a Synclavier sample I've called Gong crash.  It is used on TDs Exit - Kiew Mission.  However, I got it from the Synclavier Demo record (on blue vinyl would you believe!).  I suspect TD used the demo record also and not a real Synclavier in the studio - I maybe wrong but it is a lot cheaper!  You see there are other sounds from the Synclavier on Kiew Mission and they are exactly the same as on the demo record.

Further on is the familiar "Beat It" Synclavier Beoooowwww sound.  Again from the Synclavier Demo record and I believe Mr Jackson may have used the Demo record and not a real Synclavier for "Beat It"?  Somehow I doubt it though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synclavier

>I think there's more from the same album, but definitely Tangerine
>Dream. The constant sequence sounds TD as well.

Good, good - both from Logos -  a superb album IMHO.  There's also a TD Poland sample "Rock Electroniche".

>The folk samples. Can't really remember the name of the band
>again, but
>they have Enya's sister in there. Clannad?

Yes - Clannad - Spot on :)

Thanks for having a go!

Cheers

Chris