Soft-synth interface design

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 30 02:43:05 CET 2007

> Which software synth interfaces do you like and why?

I really like Massive, and Ill explain why later.  I also really live
VAZ 2010, and (though I hate to admit it) the new synth in Reason 4 ,
Thor, is excellent as well

> Which hardware synth interfaces do you like and why?

Poly Evolver Keyboard.  V-Synth GT (just got one).  Really, only a few
that I have ever really found dreadful

> What elements from hardware synth interfaces belong in the software
> world?

Sliders, but not knobs.  knobs in software interfaces SUCK..HARD.  The
exception is the way Massive impliments them. they take the collared
knobs on the G2 to the next level.

> What elements can you dream up that could only exist in software?

not many.  anything that could be implimented in software can be
implemented in hardware, though I dont think you can really go the
other way (particularly with sequencers).

> Do you appreciate shinny pretty graphics? Or do you prefer basic and
> clean?

A balance, of course.   Aesthetics do matter, but if a synth really
sounds kick ass, I can ignore its ugliness (VAZ2010, for example)

> Do you like soft synths that look like old hardware? Or like they are
> a holographic interface from 2483? Or in between?

I *hate hate hate* softsynths that try to impliment exactly the front
panel of the original synth.  you end up with the worst of both worlds
in a lot of ways.

I would like to see soft synth design take *advantage* of the user
interface possibilities that a computer environment allows and not an
exact recreation of real hardware.  all that does is make me miss the
hardware more.

> These questions are just some basic ones, the sky's the limit, any
> and all thoughts you have will be appreciated.

Soft synths are getting better.  Ive actually got a few I use very
regularly now, and its hard to tell when i am using soft and when I am
using hard.  Its really an aesthetic choice that I keep hardware
synths around anymore.  If I could bear to part with my keys, Id sell
it all and put the money into a massive CPU.

Tony