Ensoniq MR Rack encoders..

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Oct 13 17:17:00 CEST 2007

I know I brought this up before, but its still an issue, and because
of my impending move, even more so.

Ive got an Ensoniq MR rack.   Its got a beautiful and unique sound
(for a rompler) and really makes a nice counter balance to my rather
noisy synth dominated studio.

It has one fatal flaw though: the rotary encoders dont work, or are at
bet very erratic.  I would really like to replace them, as running it
from program changes is more than a bit of a pain (i cant figure out
how to get bank select messages to be accepted consistantly..good ol'
ensoniq love...).

My thoughts are to do one of the following:

1.  find encoders.  I found some, but any time I called up the source
they never called back when they found out I only wanted 2 and not
2000.

2.  find an equivalent encoder.  is that even possible, and how would
I figure it out?

3.  finding a braindead Mr rack and hope that the encoders it has are
in better shape than these.

4.  mutilating the MR in some kind of freak DIY project or modern sculpture.

5.  just bin the thing.  oh well..

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Tony