ADSL problem... any ideas?

Dave S EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 9 12:28:49 CEST 2007

On Saturday 06 October 2007, Dave S wrote:
> They tested the connection from their end, and apparently it was working
> fine. It was also working fine on the old router - the problem is this
> "new" (reclaimed from another office) router, I'm sure of it.

OK fixed it!

It wasn't the D-Link router - this was proven when I got the old router
working again (new PSU needed, that's all) and the problem was exactly the
same.  The D-Link isn't being used now, since the old router was better
anyway.

After much probing and tracerouting, I spotted that the domains it was bombing
out on all seemed to die at the same point in the route (slightly annoyed I
didn't spot this earlier, but I thought our new router was the problem, since
apparently it was working with the old one).  This same point was working OK
for the domains that worked, but for the broken domains, they all died at the
fourth hop - just upstream of the ISP.

Got the ISP to assign us a new fixed IP address and everything was fine,
though I hope they'll look into it some more, as that's a seriously weird
thing.

They reckoned the IP address might have been in use for something before, so I
guess it probably was the reverse resolution, since the packets were probably
being sent off somewhere completely different by a borked DNS entry
somewhere.

It was a routing error at the ISP after all that... sigh!

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated!

~Dave