Staying in London

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 5 18:48:26 CEST 2007

Hi Peter,

London is one of the most amazing cities in the world. I'm not sure that
shopping is the reason for this, but if you want to visit Hamleys, then
be sure to do this before midday, during the week.

As Martin says, the parks have a peaceful quality to them, a real
contrast. Hyde Park, Regent's Park, Green Park and St James's Park are
the lungs through which the city, and some of its occupants, breathe.

As an occupant, I find living here like a constant improvisation:
anticipating tides and avoiding them, avoiding large events, avoiding
walking the streets between 5pm and 7pm. It's easy: draw a graph of
population surges, and avoid them. Then you will find London speaks in a
whisper at night, low voices at morning, and a loud deafening screech at
other times. It moves between these like an implacable orchestra,
synchronised to the rotation of the planet. It's constant music, not
always bearable, but utterly, utterly bewitching.

As for hotels, I must admit, I'm pretty clueless. The Paddington area
would be excellent, as this gives you access to the less rediculously
expensive restaurants, and the awesome diversity of Edgeware Road -
where you can smoke a hubbly bubbly at four in the morning and eat food
from places much further east than Dagenham.

Hopefully I'll be around on those dates (shame you aren't here a few
days later, when the Galactic Emperor is due to visit), so, with the
proviso that I dislike tourist-oriented attractions, shopping and
crowds, it would be my pleasure to provide some guidance in person,
although, even after many years, the place is a mystery, and my guidance
surely as random as the sounds I enjoy listening to :)

Tony (HB)