New Music from Andy_R

Romain Gros EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Oct 4 15:15:44 CEST 2007

Thanks Andy to answer us back ,.
i m quite surprised that you used Reason ...
I got couple of friends who use it as well but normally i recognize   the
sound of it directly,
( it's like  ho!!... this is made with reason...   )
But your song is one of the exception and it s a good thing i guess.
 I used reason before until the third version but i stopped to use it  cause
Rewire was not really practical  to use with my daw (sonar)  ...
I got to many  crash on  my computer  ...
And i know i m not the only one...
well i shouldn't complain about it , cause Reason is still  an amazing
program ...
( and i don t have any knowledge  to make something comparable...lol)
Far as I know it seems that Propellerhead is just a small group of people
(based in  Sweden i guess) ,
so they are not big company as Pro tools ,Cakewalk or   Cubase etc  ...
Maybe this  could explain why they still use Rewire instead of Vst or Dxi...

but i know nothing about codes... so ... well i should shut up ..hehe

All in all i repeat myself :you made a lovely song !
Do you have more of this stuff ? :P

:D

On 10/3/07, Andrew Robinson <andrew at bml.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for all the kind words folks!
>
> Romain Gros  wrote:
> > what did you use for the drums?
> and Andy Tarpinian  wrote:
> > What are the vocaly sounds from?
>
> and  Gert van Santen wrote:
> > What gear did you use? I'd  say there's an Electribe involved (the
> gliding sequence).
>
> well, don't tell Jammer, but it's actually 100% Reason 3
>
> I know a lot of people don't like Reason, because it's easy to make rather
> formulaic stuff with and it's not that hot at analogue emulation, but I've
> found that if you play to it's strengths not it's weaknesses, it can do a
> lot of really good things. The main trick is to abuse the rack, in a studio
> you'd feel bad about having 8 samplers doing nothing but feeding their lfo
> outputs into 1 drum machine to give some background percussion sounds a
> little looser pitching, but in Reason it's fine. When you get into the habit
> of throwing compressors around like there's no tomorrow, and cascading
> distortion boxes on subtle (or not so subtle settings) almost everywhere,
> then good things happen.
>
> The Drums started as a bit of an experiment, they are mostly loops from a
> drum & bass library but with most of the notes muted, as well as being
> slowed down, automated pitch randomisation, filters and lots of processing.
> I've found that layering breaks with different feels then muting everything
> except kick and snare from one, then muting everything else in another can
> get some really interesting results. There are also some bits from a couple
> of reason's drum machines in there, one with shuffle turned on, and one
> without, and almost everything has gone through Reason's Scream distortion
> boxes, had lfos patched in along the way to get more movement, etc. While
> I've kept the layered feels, I don't think there is much in there that is
> recognisable from the original loops, there's barely anything that is within
> an octave shift of where it started.
>
> The vocals are a bit of a cheat, the first one you hear is an unmodified
> sample from a guy who makes lots of free refills for Reason, Dorumalaia. All
> I did was find it and add reverb. I did feel a bit bad about this, but it
> fitted too well not to use. You can grab thousnads of Dorumalaia's samples
> in wav or refill format at
> http://www1.dorumalaia2.com/freerefillswavsamples.htm ... the second vocal
> sound is just a choir sample pitched up a bit and reverb/delayed.
>
> The gliding sequence is one of the very few times I've used Reason's
> supposedly analogue softsynth. I love Reason's monophonic 32-step sequencer,
> which provides the glides, and incidentally is the way I came up with all
> the non-drum sequences in the track. I initially had a rhodes sample playing
> this line, but realised that I could get a lot more stablility and
> tweakability from the softsynth. It's got 2 oscilators playing a
> xylophone-like waveform, which I pitched 7 notes apart, and I fed an lfo
> [...]

Romain Gros
rXg
Check out :
www.fractales12.com