BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple iPhone warning proves true

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Oct 2 10:58:53 CEST 2007

Don't t(h)read on my tentacles, Earthling! wrote:
> Watermarking is not DRM
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
> Not that I defend watermarking? ;)

I wonder who is pushing hard that it isn't DRM? Doh!

It could become worse than DRM and far more -incriminating- (I type
incriminating, but that is just the opinion of the xxAA's) with only
some minor changes in delivery. Imagine every track sold automatically
watermarked with unique code (unlike at present) linked directly not to
an originating IP, but just enough personal details gleaned from CC
details used for payment.

If that isn't technology '..to limit usage of digital media or devices'
then I don't know what is.
That is the potential power sought.
You share a track or album, or your sister shares your track or album,
you are identified explicitly as the 'thief'. No ifs, no buts, lol ;)
In this scenario, it may potentially give the RIAA more leverage to the
point they can actually win a case against a (dumb) file sharer.

This type of Digital Rights Management (doesn't sound too ominous) is
what the big corps are just dying to be able to implement and frankly it
wouldn't be very hard to achieve in technical terms. Just not really
legal anywhere outside the US (and Australia perhaps). We all know that
law and constitution does not stop big business within fascist states..

China would never allow it, for example ;)

ewww...
but true..

;P