BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple iPhone warning proves true

Andy Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 1 23:20:02 CEST 2007

On Oct 1, 2007, at 5:07 PM, Jay Vaughan wrote:

>> Never before has a phone needed updated software...
>> Sorry, but, mobile phones are considered a disposable item in
>> todays world,
>> with a 6 - 12 month life span at best. There's just no point in
>> releasing
>> 'OS" updates for a product that has a life of 6 months.
>>

> The point is: phones are the new PC's.  Newly designed hardware such
> as in the iPhone and the neo1973 really is geared to provide the same
> sort of mechanics as we have seen with PC's.  The iPhone resonates
> because it is a manifestation of something we've all been feeling all
> along: pocketable computers should one day catch up and do the work
> of computers we've been lugging around or leaving on our desks for
> decades.  The time for the pocket-computer is here and now, and the
> iPhone is an instance of this ideology which, either way you look at
> it, just plain works.
>
> Definitely, there is enough power in the iPhone or the neo to keep
> moderate computing users happy.  The question is: where are the tools
> to allow the open development market, a primary force in the
> expansion of computing power into any realm for which the job can be
> compiled?  That we are even having this discussion is evidence that
> even still, either some do get it and want to have a more embracive
> grip on what gets done with those tools, or some don't get it and
> can't see just how effective an open developer market can be in
> extending the purpose of the pocket-computing initiative.

I find myself using the iPhone around the house for web and mail
instead of my macbook. It's actually pretty incredible, as I leave my
house my mac comes with me. Plus I can watch robot chicken at the
drop of a hat :)