BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple iPhone warning proves true

Paul Maddox Mail LIsts EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 1 22:26:16 CEST 2007

Andy,

> In the US locked
> phones to one carrier are a matter of fact, it's hard to find
> unlocked versions of phones and when one is available they are
> expensive, $600 for a treo!

Bless, in the UK, you can goto a car boot sale and get almost *any* phone
unlocked for ?5 :-)

> People go to means to unlock phones,
> thats their business, but never before has a phone maker promised
> regular updates to the phones software.

Never before has a phone needed updated software...
Sorry, but, mobile phones are considered a disposable item in todays world,
with a 6 - 12 month life span at best. There's just no point in releasing
'OS" updates for a product that has a life of 6 months.

> You can do whatever you want
> to the phone, just don't update it with apples new software, easy.

Except unlock it, install your own software or even take out the memory card
and insert another :-)

> This version of the iPhone is a test, a control, bare bones.
> Functional, but a sneak peek. I'm enjoying it. I think people just
> need to chill and enjoy it for what it is. No one is forcing you to
> buy it.

It's a gimmick, Apple have nothing in the mobile phone market.
They're "testing the water" to see if they can make money from it, nothing
more, nothing less.

Paul