BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple iPhone warning proves true

Andy Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 1 04:56:52 CEST 2007

On Sep 30, 2007, at 9:59 PM, Peter Korsten wrote:

> Ron West schreef:
>
>> apple wawrns that the update will cause their phone to not work.
>> people ignore the warning and update their phones anyway and are
>> outraged that the said phones don't work any more.
>>
>> sounds like a case of more money thand brains to me.
>>
>> if i try to update my bootleg softwware and it doesnt work any
>> more can i get pissed too?
>
> Apple is relying a lot on the 'cool' and 'not Microsoft' factor, but I
> get the impression that the iPhone is the one product that will damage
> their image beyond repair.

eh, the iPhone does what it's been advertised to do, thats clear when
it was introduced and thats clear when you buy it. For the computer
literate people, they know what apples about, they know they like to
lock down their stuff and do it their way. For the general public
they wont be trying to hack the phones anyway. In the US locked
phones to one carrier are a matter of fact, it's hard to find
unlocked versions of phones and when one is available they are
expensive, $600 for a treo! People go to means to unlock phones,
thats their business, but never before has a phone maker promised
regular updates to the phones software. You can do whatever you want
to the phone, just don't update it with apples new software, easy.

This version of the iPhone is a test, a control, bare bones.
Functional, but a sneak peek. I'm enjoying it. I think people just
need to chill and enjoy it for what it is. No one is forcing you to
buy it.