BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple iPhone warning proves true

Don't thread on my tentacles, Earthling! EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Oct 1 18:37:28 CEST 2007

Le 1 oct. 07 ? 18:02, Andrew Robinson a ?crit :

?
> It's an unavoidable fact that VOIP will eventually turn mobile
> access into a
> broadband-like commodity, the question is just when it will happen.

soon

> I see it like this: Apple gets a kickback from the phone companies
> which
> includes a percentce of call revenue. Why? To bribe Apple not to
> install the
> inevitable iVOIP app that will kill the phone companies stone dead,
> and to
> give Apple has an incentive to stop anyone else porting Skype /
> unlocking
> etc.
>
> So, Apple didn't go out of their way to make v1.1.1 of the iPhone
> software
> compatible with third party firmware alterations. Surprise
> surprise! If I'd
> hacked the firmware in my MacPro, I'd hardly expect Leopard to work
> out of
> the box with it, so why are people expecting iPhone to be different?
>
> It's significant to note that the US iPhone has a 2 year fixed
> contract and
> the European ones (released about 6 months later) have an 18 month
> contract.
> I'm guessing Apple has iVOIP and cross network compatibility ready
> to turn
> on  in 19 months, once they have the a big enough market share to be
> unstoppable, and both sides know this.

The ipod touch needs only the software (works already, needs a hack)
and a mic and up you go.

> I'll have an unlocked iPhone in 19 months, if not sooner. I'll put
> up with a
> locked one for a bit to get there.

+1 on everything

Denis H]